Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My older cat has some blood in his sick. He's on fortekor &

My older cat has some blood in his sick. He's on fortekor & felimazole. The sick was pink & watery with some grass. There wasn't much sick. Should I be worried?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more, less?

How is his appetite?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A spoonful of stomach acid slightly pink in colour.

He's eating OK.

His gums look normal

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Paula,

I am glad to see that it was just one small vomit with pink discolouration and that he is otherwise well. The reason is because this slight amount of blood is not overly worrying here. It is likely just secondary to the force of his vomit traumatizing his throat as he brought this up. So, as long as he doesn't have any more vomiting, we'd not expect any additional bleeding within the upper GI.

So, as long as he is comfortable, we'd just want to monitor him and potentially consider offering a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled. As well, you can offer a small dose (60-120 mg) of calcium carbonate to soothe his stomach.

Otherwise, we'd just want to montior here that he has no further GI upset. If he were to have any more, then we'd want to rest his stomach for today with a view to a check with his vet tomorrow so that they can dispense kitty safe anti-nausea treatment to settle his stomach for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )