Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat has been diagnosed with liver failure. I'm feeding

Customer Question

My cat has been diagnosed with liver failure.
I'm feeding her with calorific food given by my vet with a syringe.
She doesn't drink water, she stands in front of the drinking bowl scratches the floor with her front paws and then just stands with her head over the bowl. I give her water with the syringe.
Can you tell me if I can giver her a vitamin complex tablet I've read that cats with liver failure can be helped using this.
Thank you for your help
Rose
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, Rose. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am very sorry to hear that Roxie has been diagnosed with liver failure. In regards ***** ***** question, you can absolutely provide her with a feline specific vitamin supplement. There are a range on the market that can be used, but I would say to aim for one with anti-oxidants and Vitamin E. Furthermore, if your vet hasn't suggested it already, you can consider also starting Roxie on milk thistle (example), Denamarin (More Info) or Hepatosyl (More Info). Each are good for supporting liver health and function; and the last 2 also contain anti-oxidants to again help slow the progression of her condition.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr B
She has been given milk thistle (legal on) but this makes her drool a lot.
About the drinking of water and standing in front of the bowl without drinking what can this be.
The vitamin supplement can it be the ones used for humans?
She only weighs 4 kilos what dosage is correct.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are vert welcome,

I would not use a human vitamin supplement for her. A feline based one (example) is a much better (as it will be balanced for her needs and contain taurine) and safer option. Otherwise, if she is drooling a lot and staring the bowl, I do suspect that she has a degree of nausea. Therefore, you may want to ring her vet about trialing her on an antacid or a anti-nausea medication to see if we can soothe those signs for her and get her more comfortable.

All the best,
Dr. B.