Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

We living un Congo and Thérèse is ont vêt around. Our

Customer Question

Hi, we living un Congo and There is no vet around. Our kitten has approx 12 weeks. He was very healthy since 4 days ago when the diarrhea started. He vomit on the first day. We gave him some deworming the next day, he stop vomiting but the diarrhea haven't stop. He still eating but with less appetite, he plays a bit but less than usual he is a bit lethargic. We gave him his food with water from extracted from boiled rice. He drinks water. What should we do ?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. I'm sorry to hear that Jasmine isn't feeling her best, ***** ***** glad that she is eating fairly well without vomiting.
Kitten diarrhea can sometimes be helped with probiotics. Do you have access to these? Also, do you see any blood or mucus in her stool?
Has Jasmine received any vaccinations?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Barbara,

No blood and no mucus and no vaccination of any sort ....

I have probiotic for myself,maybe if it continue we could give her 1/4 of one of my pills in her food ?

She haven't pooh today yet to see if the rice water helped but she is a bit better and eat again like before.

What great news that she is better! Thank you so much for letting me know.
It is normal to have no stool for a few days after diarrhea has cleared, so I suspect that is why she has had no stool today.
Probiotics for cats are the same as for us. Probably 1/4 capsule would be good for her, but what is the strength of yours and perhaps we could get a more specific dose.
Thanks you Maryse,
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello again,

She is again very low profile tonight and she didn't eat much but she eat at least.

My probiotic are lp299v

per capsule : lactobacillus plantarum 299v, 5 billion C.F.U., 5x10' C.F.U.

Hope that will help.

Thank you again

Maryse

Hi Maryse,
Really interested in that probiotic and have been studying it online. . .thankyou!
I would give your kitten 1/5 of your capsule twice daily. It should help!
Even after a rating, this thread stays open for quite awhile so we will be able to continue communicating, and will like to continue to hear about Jasmine's progress.
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bonjour Dr,

Thank you for the tip we will try this now. however, I have to says that she is worst today she hate this morning and then she vomit twice already and she have no energy at all.

It is complicated to have animals in these Country :-)

Maryse

Hi Maryse,
Yes, it does seem complicated in that you really do have much veterinary care. Discouraging!
It would be so helpful if Jasmine could be thoroughly diagnosed. So many things can lead to vomiting and lethargy and diarrhea.
General care for vomiting would be to feed Jasmine a very gentle diet of boiled white rice and cooked skinless chicken, low fat cottage cheese, or cooked ground sirloinl I think it is much easier to mix chicken or beef baby food. Just be sure that the food you buy has no onions in the recipe. I'd mix this at about 40% rice and 60% meat or cottage cheese. Jasmine should then be offered about 1tsp (5ml) every 2 hours. For now, however, I'd just allow small amounts of water every hour, and when she hasn't vomited for about 5 hours, start with very small amounts of food every 2 hours.
If she continues to vomit, then she has to get the best veterinary care there that is available. She should also be tested for feline leukemia and FIP. . .two serious viral diseases that are fatal ultimately.
But try to ease her back into eating and controlling the vomiting that way.
Did you add the probiotic to her food? Is that when she started vomiting again?