Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Cat is off her food and vomited, fur is untidy and white in

Cat is off her food and vomited,vomit was white froth one time, fur is untidy and white in corner of   eyes Has been off colour for 2-3 days

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This sounds highly concerning for your cat. Unfortunately, her symptoms are vague (vomiting, not eating, lethargy) and could indicate any one of a long list of potential issues ranging from ingestion of unusual item that is trapped in her system or irritated her system to organ issue (liver, kidney) to pancreatitis to inflammatory bowel disease to infection (fungal, bacterial, parasitic) and the list continues.
The absolute best next step for her is to have her seen this weekend by the veterinarian that is available for an emergency examination. IF she was my patient if the problem was not obvious upon examination as it probably will not be, then I would recommend performing some lab testing (complete blood count, chemistry profile, urine check and stool exam) +/- X-rays to try to narrow down the cause. IF she is profoundly dehydrated or running a fever, then she may require hospitalization with intravenous fluid support.
I regret that I cannot narrow down the exact problem for you, but I too would need to perform and exam and some testing to provide you with an answer.
I worry about recommending treatments at home because she is vomiting. This means anything we try to give her via mouth will probably come right back up and not stay down long enough to have an effect.
But if she was my patient and you were unable to have her seen this weekend, then I would advocate give her an electrolyte solution such as one made for children. You can safely give Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg at 1/4 tab every 24 hours for nausea (but again, this may not work because it will not stay down long enough).
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is not so bad this afternoon, and is walking around and had a little steamed turkey, so I do not think she needs emergency vet. I have not seen her vomit today either, but if she is not recovered after the weekend I will take her to the vet, or if she gets worse. She is drinking water. I wondered if milk made specially for cats would be a good idea? For a while she has had a preference for wet cat food with lots of gravy and sometimes just licks the gravy off. Does this suggest anything to you?

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Excellent, if you are seeing improvement. You, then, could safely monitor her and continue to encourage her to eat.
I would advocate still doing the famotidine as mentioned above for nausea. There are no anticipated side effects and may really help with some level of nausea. You should be able to find this in any people pharmacy.
Please avoid milk right now. This has potential to upset her system. Instead, I do recommend encourage her to drink. You could try offering low sodium broth (chicken or beef), but not stock.
Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit.