Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My 6 year neutered mail has had blood in his stools on and

Customer Question

My 6 year neutered mail has had blood in his stools on and off for about three months and seemed fine. I spoke to an online vet who asked me to monitor him. There had been nothing for at least five weeks. Today he toileted outside his tray at the bottom of the stairs - fresh blood in it - twice. He had been sick two days ago, which is unusual for him. Then he came in the sitting room to clean himself and I noticed he was losing drops of urine involuntary. He now seems very unwell and unresponsive. I do not have a regular vet - can you help please.
Rose Harding
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Rose and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is hard to know what may be causing sweet Billy's condition. The blood in the stools usually means that the stool is either hard or too soft so it irritates the rectal mucosa causing small blood vessels to break and bleed. It appears that Billy has a digestive disturbance that seems to be getting worse. The fact that he had a bowel movement outside his box tells you that he is not feeling well.

Try giving him Pepcid AC or Famotidine available at the chemist at 0.5 mg every 8 hrs ot help calm down his digestive tract. Fast him for 12 hrs and then feed him a small meal of rice and boiled chicken which is a bland die to help Billy past this. I am not sure about the urinary incontinence but this may be unrelated to this digestive issue. If he older, this could be due to arthritis blocking some of the nerve supply to his urinary sphincter.

If he does not respond to this, it is important to have a vet examine Billy because we may have missed something.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****