Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I need some advice about my 9yr old male cat. I

Hi I need some advice about my 9yr old male cat. I unknowingly made the mistake of feeding him a canned tuna diet over a prolonged period of time and now know this to be dangerous. He has the symptoms of yellow fat disease. He has flaky skin and dull coat, occasional fever symptoms (shivering) and does not like being handled. Although not generally fat, he does have a large floppy tummy. I immediately stopped feeding him tuna (about two months ago) and after refusing to eat for a while he began eating his cat biscuits (Royal Canin) and some cat pouches (Sheba). The pouches are fish flavoured as he will not eat the meat ones, but I have since read that this might be dangerous for him too due to the tuna content. He is obviously still not well, so I need to know the best way forward for him. Does he need injections of Vit E from the vet, or could he have over the counter supplements? If so, what are these and what dosage would a 6 kg cat require? Are there also foods that you could recommend to aid his recovery? Obviously if he needs to go to a vet then I will take him , but I would prefer to avoid any unnecessary stress and discomfort for him if at all possible. Could you please also tell me how long it usually take to recover from this? Thank you.

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would note that most of our standard fish flavored cat foods are actually quite low in fish content. So, I would advise reading the labels on the foods he will eat and choose those with as little fish content as possible.

As well, it would be ideal to start him on a feline multivitamin. Injections of Vitamin E are possible treatment options but there is no reason why you cannot just use an oral version at this stage coupled with his low fat balanced diet. There are a range of vitamins available over the counter and this will help address his Vitamin E deficiency as well as any others (since Vitamin B1 issues are common with tuna feeding too) that may be present. In regards ***** ***** daily dose of Vitamin E we'd want to give, you could give 80 IU daily. In regards ***** ***** this is very much related to his response. Generally speaking, we treat for 2 weeks post full recovery but just to note most reports on this disease took 2 months of treatment to get to that point. So, we'd need to consider this treatment for the next wee while for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. Just to clarify, is it likely that a multivitamin supplement would have the dosage of vit E that is needed, or would I need to purchase vit E alone seperately to top up the multivitamin? Although you suggest treatment may take around 2 months, would it be harmful to administer them for a longer period of time to promote future good health? Can you recommend a particular brand, and where could I purchase them from please?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Now most multivitamins will contain some Vitamin E. How much so is brand dependant, but I do think it a good place to start from the point of view of the other deficiencies that we can see with this type of situation. Brand-wise, I don't have a particular preference, but Pet Naturals: Daily Best (which you can get on Amazon) is a good option.

That said, since we tend to be giving an elevated Vitamin E dose in these cases, we will likely need to also give a plain Vitamin E supplement as well to make up any difference. In regards ***** ***** that, you can use a human OTC Vitamin E from somewhere like Hollands & Barrett. Just make sure there are no other additives (ie selenium). As well, in regards ***** ***** question, there is no harm having them on Vitamin E for life if we wished. It is a very safe anti-oxidant and is actually quite good for all of us.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the clarification. Just one last question if I may, if human vit E capsules are not measured in IU's, what would that equate to in mg or any other usual measurement?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Actually, from what I can see, they are measured in IU (example, though a non-gel cap may be easier to use for dosing). So, there is no need to convert mg and IUs here.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much, you have been very helpful.

Best wishes

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,

All the best,
Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)