Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I was wondering if there was any decongestant product i

Customer Question

Hi i was wondering if there was any decongestant product i can buy for my cat Thank you
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, thank you for asking since all too many of our human decongestants are not cat friendly and can actually cause harm.

Now in regards ***** ***** the counter options, we are limited in cat safe options. Generally speaking, the most effective option is to use plain saline nasal drops (without any medication) to gently flush the nostrils clear. As well, if Cracker's signs are due to allergies, the use of an over the counter antihistamine (ie Piriton/Chlorphenamine at a dose of 1-2 mg every 8-12 hours) can also be of help.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** for cats with chronic congestion, your vet can dispense Bisolvin for Cracker. This is a prescription medication that we have in the UK that is great for reducing nasal discharge and helpful for cats with chronic congestion/upper respiratory tract issues. Otherwise, if his congestion is more related to nasal tissue inflammation as opposed to discharge production, you will want to speak to your vet about a cat safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam).

Finally, I do want to note some further supportive care options that can help your wee one. To start, you can help reduce congestion by taking him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier. Though since cats are rarely keen to have anything held up to their faces; you can make a little ‘steam tent’ with him in his carrier, the humidifier next to it and a bed sheet over both.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi thank you for the reply do you have a website were i can buy plain saline nasal drops

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again David,

You should be able to purchase these OTC at any chemist (example @ Boots, though obviously he cannot have Calpol the medication).

All the best for Cracker,
Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi again do you mean this product http://www.boots.com/en/Calpol-Saline-Nasal-Drops-10ml_1264510/

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

That is the web address I have linked to the word example above, so yes. :)
As you will see it just contains : an isotonic saline solution containing Sodium Chloride (0.460% w/v), Sodium Dihydrogen Phosphate (0.368% w/v) and disodium Phospate Dihydrate (0.712% w/v).

Take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you very much just one more question how do i use it for my cat and how often and how much Thank you

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome,

You can administer 2-3 drops per nostril. Since it is saline,it can be used as often as needed but most cats are not keen on more then 2-4 times daily.

Take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you so much for your help

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, David.

Have a good evening,
Dr. B.