Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I have had a rescue cat age 9 6 months who is extremely

Customer Question

I have had a rescue cat age 9 for about 6 months who is extremely nervous of people especially men. He seems to only feel safe in the bedroom. He is very loving to me now but runs away from my husband most of the time. He will allow my husband to groom him on the bed and seems to love it, and when we are in bed he will happily stay with us but on another occasion if my husband goes into the bedroom he will hiss at him for no reason and last night he scratched him. Is there anything we can do to make things better?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
Poor little Simba has been frightened by something causing this anxiety around any man.
First take Simba back to your vet for an exam and lab work. There are medical conditions that can cause such odd behavior and treatment could resolve this. If this is ruled out, then other steps can be taken.
Next, purchase Feliway at the pet store.This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety. Follow the directions on the bottle and use the diffuser in areas that Simba frequents. Then purchase long lasting toys such as a feline kong that will distract him from his fears, The more he tolerates men in his life, the more used to them he will get...this is Desensitization.
If he is having a hard time, your vet will have medication to help Simba through this such as Clomicalm.
This LINK has other enrichment ideas to distract Simba.
http://www.vmth.ucdavis.edu/home/beh/feline_behavior/enrichment.html
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****