Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

What is cause blood in loose bowels of 8 week old kitten which

Customer Question

What is cause blood in loose bowels of 8 week old kitten which is moving bowels 4/5 Times dailey
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if Frankie has loose bowels and is passing diarrhea multiple times a day, this will cause inflammation and irritation of the lower GI or colon which can cause the passage of mucus or blood in the feces. So, it is quite possible that the loose stool is causing blood as a side effect. With this in mind, we have to consider common causes like bacterial colitis, worms, protozoal infections (ie Coccidia, Giardia, etc) and in some cases we can see this secondarily to dietary or stress induced sensitivities.

Now in Frankie's situation, we'd want to try some supportive care to rule out and address some of these signs. To start, if he hasn't been wormed recently, then it would be ideal to do so at this stage. Ideally, we'd want to use a good quality broad spectrum wormer (ie Milbemax, Drontal, Panacur), which you can get over the counter for him.

Further to this, do consider putting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity. This should be offered as small frequent meals and can reduce diarrhea and soothe an inflammed GI. If he settles with this diet change, you can change him back to his normal food but do wean him back slowly to avoid relapse.

Finally, I would note that since an imbalance in the gut's good bacteria and overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria can trigger bacterial colitis, it can be of benefit to support his good GI bacteria. To do so, there are a range of cat probiotics and GI supplements on the market. The one I tend to use for general GI issues if Fortiflora or if my patient has less then ideal stools then I will use Pro-pectalin or Protexin Prokolin as this contains the GI microflora support we want but also has a safe anti-diarrhea (kaolin) to slow the diarrhea and prevent secondary nutrient or hydration loss. These are both available OTC at vets, some pet stores, and even Amazon. So, these would also be a consideration.

Overall, these would be our concerns for the signs you are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to take the above steps to see if we can soothe his gut and settle this for him. If you do try these but do not see this settling within in 12-24 hours, then we’d want to consider following up with his vet. In that case, you may want to bring a fresh fecal sample for your vet to send to the lab. This can be checked for common parasitic, protozoal, and bacterial causes for his colitis. Depending on which agent is present, your vet can dispense treatment (ie antibiotics, anti-protozoals, etc) to treat this effectively and settle it for Frankie

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.