Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

The fur on my cats lower back has gone really lumpy and matted

Customer Question

The fur on my cats lower back has gone really lumpy and matted and she wont let me stroke her. She is 10 years old and is frontlined every month.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is a common defect that is called Stud Tail in male cats. The sebaceous glands which are within the hair follicles producing oils become over active in this area and cause this matted and greasy appearance. There is no treatment for this except to brush your gal daily and bath her to remoe these oils once per week. If she does nto like baths, you can use a waterless shampoo available at the pet store. This does not cause your gal any harm except for the discomfort of the matting.

This LINK will explain in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Louise, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.