Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My cat is starting to lose her teeth ,she was astray we have

my cat is starting to lose her teeth ,she was astray we have had for ayear and is in good health generaly
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. How old, approximately, is the cat? Has she been to a vet since you have had her? Does her gum tissue look really red and inflamed, or do her teeth have large deposits of calculus on them, from what you can tell?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She came to us as a stray with one of her fange teeth missing

her gums look normal we can not tell her age, she is very nervous ,and only my wife can handle her.

She may have FIV, which can cause issues in the mouth, or she may have Feline Oral Resorptive Lesions (FORL), which can cause teeth to resorb into the body starting with the roots, and then they can fall out. Without seeing a vet, there is not much you can do except to feed soft food to help prevent pain. I would see a vet to see if a dental procedure is necessary.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.