Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Can I ask you a question regarding my sons cat?

Customer Question

Hello can I ask you a question regarding my sons cat?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

Can you tell me your concern about your son's cat?

How old is he?

Since it looks as if you are currently offline, there may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day.

Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Deb

Yes I wanted to ask if my sons cat was getting the right treatment because he saw a vet on Saturday the 20th of this month who X.Rayed him and diagnosed heart failure. This was a big shock for my son and they prescribed Fortexor half twice daily and Frusemide half twice daily. However although the cat was obviously poorly he now seems to be much worse on the medication. He is still eating and drinking really well, but has lost a lot of weight. Deb could you please check that " Just Answer " have not put me in for a monthly subscription while your here, as I am a pensioner and cannot afford anymore then the £14 we agreed on. I did not tick any box saying I wanted a monthly subscription, but I noticed afterwards there was a box already ticked, so I would appreciate your co-operation on this. Thank you very much. My email is***@******.***

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Diane:
Thanks for the additional information about your son's cat.

I understand that every vet practices differently but I don't definitively diagnose heart failure based on an x-ray alone. I may suspect that this is the problem but I don't prescribe cardiac drugs until or unless an ultrasound is done which can more accurately evaluate what's going on with the heart.
If finances are an issue such that an ultrasound is not feasible and fluid (pulmonary edema) is visible on the x-ray, then I might dispense Furosemide but I wouldn't feel comfortable prescribing anything else.

It's going to be difficult to know if your son's cat is reacting to the medication he's taking or if he does truly have heart failure. If the latter scenario, then these cats often do deteriorate fairly rapidly, I'm afraid, despite medication:(

I can understand your son's shock about the diagnosis of a serious condition but, unfortunately, when it comes to cats, this sort of thing happens all the time. Cats are able to mask or hide conditions until they catch up with them; often the underlying disease has progressed quite far before it's eventually detected. Cats have many amazing qualities but this is not one of them:(

If at all possible, I'd suggest that an ultrasound be done on him to confirm that he does, indeed, have congestive heart failure.

As to the monthly subscription issue, I can refer this to customer service or you can contact them directly (which might be the best way to handle this). My role is only to address or answer questions so I'm not involved with the financial end of things. But, rest assured, if you didn't intend to pay for a prescription, you shouldn't have to.

I hope this helps. Deb