Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I would like to adopt a little kitten but it seems to have

Hi. I would like to adopt a little kitten but it seems to have an eye condition. The current owner says the eye never opened but they've been bathing it in a saline solution. I wonder if perhaps the discharge i can see it's an infection? Thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What color was the discharge?

Can you take a photo of this eye? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi please see below
//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll40/xandragorcea83/Mobile%252520Uploads/image_zpspjubbk3o.jpg
 photo image_zpspjubbk3o.jpg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the photo,

Can you confirm that the owners have said the eye has been tearing like that since birth?

Any sneezing or nasal discharge?

Have they ever seen the eye?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
According to the owner the eye never opened. They say the eye has been like that since birth. He's now 8 weeks old and according to them he's a perfectly happy and bouncy kitten. When I saw his eye I thought perhaps he has an eye infection that can be easily treated, but I cannot be sure.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you again,

I agree that the eye is not normal. My concern with it being clear discharge is that this little one either has an ongoing viral infection (ie herpes), a deformed eye (birth defect) under that lid, or that it had an eye infection earlier in its kittenhood that led to scaring or adhesions preventing it from opening the eye and potentially blocking the drainage of the tear duct. And I have to warn you that all of these have the real potential of being an ongoing issue for the kitten's life.

Therefore in this case, if you are keen to adopt this kitten, it would be ideal to either have the kitten first examined by your or the breeder's vet. Depending on which of the above is found and once you know the long term ramifications of what is present, you can make an educated decision to whether you do want to take this wee one home.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )