Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

I have 2 cats a male and a female. The female is the mother

Customer Question

Hi, I have 2 cats a male and a female. The female is the mother of the male cat. Both cats have had worms in the past and unfortunately they have worms again. I went to our local Pets at Home store this evening and got some worming tablets. The female cat (named Jazzy) is very weak and cannot stand up on 4 feet without her legs giving way. I am very concerned with her as she has gone down hill. I managed to get her to have her worming tablet with some food albeit very little. She is not drinking at all. Please can you help.
Kevin
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Kevin and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The worm load is not causing this problem for Jazzy. There is something else going on. This could be liver disease that will interfere with the nerve supply or even a very serious arthritis that is causing her so much pain that she does not want to eat and the nerve supply has been interefered with. It is very important, Kevin, that you take Jazzy to your vet as soon as possible. She is on a great deal of pain or she has a serious metabolic condition that can only be found through testing by your vet.

Does that make sense to you, Kevin?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr Loretta, Jazzy had a problem about 8 or 9 months ago where she would not eat or drink. She had blood tests which were inconclusive and a overnight stay at the vets where she was put on a drip to replace liquids and viamins. The vet did say then that she may have a form of disease, but I think he said her blood.

Kevin

This makes sense, Kevin, that there is some form of underlying disease that is causing Jazzy tehse problems. You will have to have other tests now to find the problem...it may have gotten worse now so that the disease can be determined and treated to help your sweet Jazzy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr Loretta, you have been very helpful and understanding. I notice that you said good morning. Would you be somewhere on the East Coast of the USA? I'm in the UK and the time now is 21.10.

Once again thank you.

You are very welcome Kevin....we are in Honduras which is close to East coast US time. I forgot about the time change....

I hope Jazzy feels better soon!!!
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
I also forgot to tell you, Kevin, that the worms you are seeing are tapeworms spread by fleas....check them to see if they have fleas.
Thank you so much, Kevin, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help.