Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Persian cat Bailey is 2 years old weeks he has stopped

my Persian cat Bailey is 2 years old for 3 weeks he has stopped eating or very little food, has lost weight, he has rapid breathing and is very lethargic, he was at our vets last week for 4 days had blood tests (all negative) lung xray and lung wash used for testing but showed some inflammation but no cultures grew, he is on antibiotics and steroid tablets for 4 days now yesterday he showed some improvement but today he has gone downhill again, I feel completely lost i do not want to lose him but am I being cruel keeping him going, or do you have any idea what it could be.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Bailey has lost weight, isn't eating well, is lethargic and is breathing rapidly compared to normal.It sounds like he has had quite a bit of testing done including bloodwork, radiographs and a transtracheal wash to look for possible infectious agents, all of which were very appropriate tests to run.The only thing that I don't see is an echocardiogram (ultrasound) of his heart to look for heart disease. While primary lung disease like asthma, respiratory infections or inflammatory bronchitis are more common at his age we do see some young, especially male, cats with a type of heart disease called cardiomyopathy. This is hard to diagnose on radiographs as this is a primary disease of the heart muscle itself. Thus an ultrasound that can show us the thickness of the muscular heart walls as well the heart's ability to function is a much better tool to diagnose this condition. That is what I recommend for your fellow since he isn't responding to treatment as expected. This should be done by a veterinary cardiologist, so you will likely need to ask your veterinarian for a referral to a specialty clinic.I'm sorry to hear that your fellow is so sick. I suspect his short term rally was due to the effects of the steroid, which can stimulate their appetite and make them feel a bit better for a short period. If this were truly due to an inflammatory process though he should have continued to improve.Please let me know if you have any further questions.