Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have been feeding a cat that I think is stray, she as been

I have been feeding a cat that I think is stray, she as been scratching and grooming her self till shes sore, she was not like this in the winter months, could it be an allergy to pollen and if so what can I give her ?, I don't think it is fleas as it started well before I bought her a flea collar
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm really sorry to hear about your girl's hairloss and excessive grooming. The most common reason for these symptoms is flea allergy dermatitis. Flea allergy dermatitis is horrible. If you don't see any fleas she might not have a huge population, but in an allergic cat it only takes one bite a month for them to itch like crazy. If you have other strays who aren't itchy they may not be allergic. I am glad to know that you have used flea control but most flea collars are not very effective, which may be why her flea collar didn't help. The exception is the new Seresto flea collar. Many over the counter products have a problem with fleas being resistant and some can be down right dangerous. I never recommend any products that Hartz or Sargent's make. If you choose to use a topical flea drop I recommend Advantage II or Frontline Plus every 3 weeks. Inhaled allergies (to pollens, dust mites or mold spores) are other possible allergens.To control allergic symptoms you can try:1) Benadryl (diphenhydramine only, the combination products with decongestants and acetaminophen are toxic to cats) at 2mg to 4mg per kilogram of body weight every 8 hours. That's a half of 25mg tablet every 8 hours for a cat that is 4 to 8 kilograms. OR 2) Chlorpheniramine at 4mg twice daily.Or3) Zyrtec (Cetirizine hydrochloride) at a dose of 5 mg per cat given orally every 24 hours. Make sure it is NOT the formulation with a decongestant (such as Zyrtec-D) because cats cannot tolerate decongestants.Combined with high doses of omega-3 fatty acids antihistamines work to relieve her itchiness. I like 3V caps or Derm Caps. I recommend a dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 40mg of EPA per kilogram of body weight per day. For example a 4 kilogram cat could take 160mg of EPA per day. Antihistamines and omega-3 fatty acids work synergistically. These should help reduce the itch. Be aware that antihistamines can cause drowsiness or hyperactivity which should resolve with continued use. You can also use cortisone cream or spray on especially itchy areas.Since she lives outside other parasites like Cheyletiella or sarcoptic or demodectic mange are possible causes as well.For now I would start with continued flea control, an antihistamine and omega 3 fatty acids. If she's not significantly better in 2 weeks then it's time for a veterinary examination to look further for problemsPlease let me know if you have further questions by replying to this post.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou, where can I get the omega 3 fatty acids from ?

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry I missed your follow up question. You can purchase omega 3 fatty acids online, at pet stores, from your veterinarian or at health food stores.Please let me know if you have any further questions.