Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

I saw a flea on my cat and panicked. It was a couple of days

I saw a flea on my cat and panicked. It was a couple of days till he was due his next frontline so i rushed out to the local pet store but it was shut so I purchased some Bob martin spot on at the shops. Afterwards I stumbled across horrific reviews of the product so I tried to wash it off. He seems OK but he did ingest a little which he did not like. Can i ask is it safe to apply frontline now or should I wait? I have combed him with a flea comb to remove any fleas. Also how long will it be till I know he is in the clear from that bob martin product? Any help would be appreciated as I'm going out my mind with worry. Thank you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question about Ziggy. Can you tell me specifically the ingredients listed for the product you put on him? Is he acting completely normal at this time now? How long ago did you apply it again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, it contains Margosa extract 3% w/w, ethyl butylacetylaminopropionate 9.8% w/w also contains diethylene glycol ethyl ether 86.95%. That's all that's noted on the pack.

I applied it yesterday afternoon and he's acting fine at the moment. He's eating and playing. It was not till the evenjng that i acidentally stumbled across the reviews. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that information Kerry. That is good that he's acting normal at this time. Was this specifically a cat product again? I'll be honest and say that if you really want to scare yourself, you can find some pretty negative reviews about pretty much any given product / medication out there on the internet. If you look (and not to hard), you'll find a lot of people that feel that Frontline is detrimental to dogs and cats too. At this point in time, if he's not had any reaction to the application, then the chances are that he'll not have one. This product for felines is approved for use in them. The times at my ER that I see problems with flea product use is when dog products are placed on cats and they contain permethrin / pyrethrins. These situations are the bad ones that I see. This product doesn't have that so it wouldn't seem overly concerning. It would seem ok at this time to use the Frontline product which is approved for cats that contains the Fripronil. This is a product that I use with great comfort and success on my cats and dogs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The product was definitely for cats and kittens from 12 weeks.

I'll apply the frontline tonight and keep a close eye on him. Thank you for you help, much appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
That is good that it was definitely for cats and kittens from 12 weeks up. It should be a situation that turns out ok. There are lots and lots of cats that get that product applied and they don't have issues. Could there be the rare case out there that has an unexpected reaction? Yes. These though should be few and far apart when the product is used as it is directed.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.