Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat and I have had a flea infestation. I seem to have

Customer Question

Hi my cat and I have had a flea infestation. I seem to have got that under control now with frontline and home flea spray. However he seems so itchy around his neck. I have checked for new fleas with the flea comb but cannot find any or eggs?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry you have had all these fleas to deal with and they are making your cat so uncomfortable. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
The itch may be still be related to the fleas. Even if you are not seeing fleas, he may still be having an allergic reaction to the fleas bites. If there are any areas that are itchy, and that have thin hair, or no hair, you could try applying a cortisone containing ointment like Cortaid or Cortizone 10 twice daily.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Or he could be having an allergic reaction to something else. If I could, I would look into his ears to be sure they are clean down to the ear drum (which you cannot see without an otoscope); cats will scratch their necks if the ears itch.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Has his food changed recently? Itching can be from food allergy.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks where can I get these products? Someone also said about a tiny dab of olive oil but would you not recommend? I have not found thin patches of hair yet - but worried as he is quite old.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Let me know what other questions I can help with.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You can get the Cortaid over the counter at any pharmacy. Olive oil is not that anti inflammatory
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, his ears look clear. I changed his food about 4-week ago he was on Royal Canin vets diet for about 5-years but then stopped eating it... I will try and re-introduce it as they say cats on better diets get less fleas. I just feel so sorry for him - I will probably take him to see the vet tmrw.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Your vet may be able to give him an injection to help with the itching.
Let me know how he is doing, and what else I can help with. Hope he is feeling better soon.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the great rating.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Sarah,
How is Art doing?

Rebecca