Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

There my 2 and half year old bengal cat paisley is dribbling

Customer Question

Hi there my 2 and half year old bengal cat paisley is dribbling huge amounts. She's been locked in my house from 5pm yesterday, but when i got up this morning at 7am there was a wet patch on her bed and she is just constantly drooling. She is totally fine in her self, playing, running, eating and even picking up a toy in her mouth. i opened her mouth and can see a small cut in the roof of her mouth, i'm guessing this is the cause. Just wondering if this will heal on its own or if she will need treatment? or if she will can it wait till Monday?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Paisley!

If she has a cut on the roof of her mouth, that will certainly be irritating her mouth and thus could be triggering her drooling. Now oral sores, as long as they are not severe, gaping, or infected (if you saw yellow pus leaking from it), tend to heal quite quickly and well on their own. Therefore, we'd only want to monitor this, potentially flush her mouth with cool water if anything looked caught in the wound, and offer soft foods at this point.

Of course, if you find that she doesn't settle over the weekend or has a declining appetite due to it being uncomfortable (which doesn't sound like an issue here), then we'd want to consider a check with her vet on Monday for kitty safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam) +/- antibiotics by injection if needed. But again, small cuts can irritate the mouth (just as it does with us) but don't often need treatment to help it to heal.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much, i'll have keep an eye on it, and try flush her mouth of she'll let me.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best to you both & have a great weekend,
Dr. B.