Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat Finbar has a history of eating linear things. . He has

Customer Question

My cat Finbar has a history of eating linear things. . He has been unwell on and off this week with froth vomit and loss of appetite.I have been treating him with cat malt and liquid paraffin and a couple of days ago he passed a furball. He just passed some ribbon folded up in his faeces, which is in various lengths and after this has now eaten some food. He is also acting in a more normal way I have given him a further dose of liquid paraffin to make sure that its all passed. Will it be safe to now watch and wait.
This cat is my very best love and is watched over like a hawk, however from time to time he still finds something to cause a problem.
Ann oldfield
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Oh Finbar! That is a terrible habit for a cat to have.

Still I am glad to hear that he has passed this ribbon. In regards ***** ***** at this point, we want to keep a close eye on him for the next few days. We want to make sure his gums stay pink (not pale/white), that his belly is not tender when we press on it, and that his GI upset and appetite loss settle. As long as they do, we are likely safe here. But any of those signs causing bother and we'd want to have him checked.

Otherwise, as long as you aren't causing diarrhea, you can continue the paraffin for the next few days. As well, you can add some fiber (ie 0.25 teaspoon of Benefiber once daily) to his food to bulk up feces and push out anything else that may be hiding in his gut.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is on Hills Metabolic diet because he is a greedy boy and quite tubby. I think this food has a good deal of fiber and we don't normally have any constipation or diarrhea and he is in excellent health.

His gums are black so hard to tell with those but his tummy is not tender.

I think I will go with the watch and wait. Thank you for your advise it's less upset for the cat, than a car journey.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

I think that is a fine plan here. And just to note for dark gummed cats, you can flip down the eye lid to check their conjunctiva color if you are worried. But in any case, I am glad to hear that he has passed this ribbon without issue and hopefully will refrain from any repeat scares for a good wee while.

Take care,
Dr. B.

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help.

Have a good day

X from Finbar

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,

All the best to Finbar and yourself,
Dr. B.