I don't have a copy of her results, the vet said that it could be that there was a lot of protein in her last meal that made it go up if that sheds any light? She definitely said that it should be 10 and 12 was high? She only tested her kidney function (I think) because she wanted to put her on Loxicom for what she thinks is arthritis, the bottom of her back and her back legs are bad.
Faith doesn't drink at all, she was a BIG drinker until around 9 months ago but suddenly one day stopped completely. I now only give her wet food and still put fresh water down daily which she never touches but will this add to her kidney problems or could her kidney problems be the reason she stopped drinking? Also, how long does it take the Loxicom to work?
I managed to get a copy of her records as you asked. I hope it makes sense to you. What is scoliosis of the spine, is it something the vet or I should have noticed sooner or can it come with age? - is she in a lot of pain with this? She has had an arched back for AGES but it was put down to that rolling/twitchy skin syndrome.
Her next appointment is next Tuesday 4th August, is there anything I should be asking or even requesting?
Oops sorry I thought I had only uploaded it once :-) I found out myself that she had hyperesthesia by googling, she has always bitten her back pulling her fur out leaving bald patches and gone a bit loopy chasing ghosts (as I called it), my last vet thought I was a bit mad when I explained it and thought it was just flea bites but I've always treated her or fleas monthly, he vet gave her steroids which obviously did nothing. To be honest I was left feeling that I was making a fuss over nothing but to see it on almost a daily basis is actually quite distressing.
Would that have got worse with age? Also, what would you recommend for her next tests / steps, I want to go to the vet with a clear mind of what she needs rather than leave a bit bewildered like the last time? She is still sleeping almost 24/7, maybe slightly more alert but no real change in her to be hionest.
Thanks for your advice :-)
That's Great thanks! I'm presuming most decent vets would do this as a next step anyway? The Loxicom has relieved some pain as she now sleeps curled up again as she used to and not with her back legs stretched out but I can;t overlook the fact that she is still sleeping. Her heart rate still goes into the 60's 70's while she is laying on a daily basis and she has mild fits in her sleep but the vet didn't seem worried about either of these symptoms.
Great thanks! She sleeps around 23 hours a day, she's only ever awake for food and to toilet. Her appointment is not until next Tuesday 3pm (UK time) so I'll make sure she has her breakfast at 8-9am then nothing else until after her appointment. The vet suggested euthanasia but I don't want any regrets or to do that and wonder what her diagnosis was after, surely I should have all the facts as it's still quite vague at the moment. I'll ask for a copy of her results and be back in touch.
Thanks for your help :-)
Sorry for the delay, she's been on Metacam for around 6 weeks, at first she was like Super Kitty, she became territorial again and saw off every feline visitor to her catflap, she was my old girl once again and when I took her for her 2 week check up she had been grooming and either allowed me to remove her matted fur from her back or done it herself. Over the following 4 weeks though I saw her go slowly back to how she was before she went on the Metcam, she's either sleepy, matted again at her lower back and will not let me near her to groom and unmat it.
I knew before I went that the Metacam should have helped the pain for longer than a month, you hear of cats on it long term for arthritis so I did wonder if there is something else going on there? I've also seen her panting once or twice and she has been sick twice over the past 3 days (that I've seen).
The vet has now decided on her being anaesthetised and having xrays tomorrow. I have been asked to consider what I might do if the outcome is not good and I have decided that if she is in pain that cannot be controlled long term then I will let her go. I know she's not going to live forever but the next step is going to be tramadol, if the tramadol would only work for a month then I really don't see the point in that to be honest, it's not fair to her.
Sorry to babble on but I thought I would check in and let you know. do you have any ideas why she might be in pain again so soon and why the Metacam may have stopped working? It's okay to be honest. Also, the vet has said not to feed her for 18 hours before, my poor girl will be soooo hungry as if she is not home until tomorrow afternoon then she will not have eaten for over 24 hours, is there a bit of leverage there on the 18 hours?