Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our cat diagnosed with chronic renal failure. Being fed with

Our cat diagnosed with chronic renal failure. Being fed with royal Canon food and is much better. Feeding instructions advise to be given for 6 months. What happens then?
.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your cat has been diagnosed with chronic renal failure (CRF) but glad to hear that he/she is stable.

I typically recommend that my patients with this problem continue to eat the prescription low protein diets for the remainder of their lives. This is because by the time kidney issues have been diagnosed in cats, approximately 75% of cells have been damaged; this is irreversible damage, unfortunately.
Protein has been shown to accelerate damage to the kidneys and thus the low protein diets are preferable for the life of the patient. Those patients who will eat these diets usually do much better than those who don't.

I also recommend fish oil supplements such as Welactin which can help with inflammation; this particular product can be drizzled on the food so you don't have to medicate him/her.

Additionally, fluids under the skin can be enormously helpful for these patients if they start to have appetite issues...which is a commonly seen problem with this condition at some point. This is a fairly easy procedure to do if the patient will tolerate it.

I hope this helps and that your cat remains stable for a long time to come. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, best of luck with your cat. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Would there be any harm in giving our cat traditional food such as chicken and did as s treat from time to time

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

I personally don't have any problems with a small amount of people food such as chicken (and possibly other protein) now and again as a treat but I wouldn't make a daily habit of it with a cat who has been diagnosed with kidney issues.

Deb