Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Good Evening, Hope you can help me, im worried about my cat.

Customer Question

Good Evening, Hope you can help me, im worried about my cat. He is about 4-5 years old, He's sleeping alot an he has a high pitch meow when he uses the littertray, also wants to be left alone. I hope its nothing serious, Thank you. Angie morgan
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry you are worried about Ginny. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How long has he been like this? When he is in the litter tray, is he passing urine? Or is he in there trying but no urine coming out? I ask because we see male cats get "blocked" where they have a plug in the urethra, and can't pass urine. They keep trying to urinate, will cry when trying, sleep more, eat less, and are painful. If he is passing urine, but it hurts when he does, he may have cystitis or a bladder infection. The only way to tell would be to do a urinalysis. is he eating? If so, he is stable. If his gums are pink in color, that is also a good sign. If his gums are pale, if he is not eating, if there is any chance he is not passing urine, he should see a veterinarian as soon as possible. Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer.Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your answer, his gums are pink, hes having problems using the littertray, he screams when trying to go, sometimes he cant go at all. The screaming upsets me so much, how can i make him comfortable

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Good that his gums are pink. If he is not passing urine, and screaming when he tries to go, I am worried he has a blockage in his urethra (tube from the bladder through the penis). The only way to make him comfortable, if this is his problem, is to get him to an emergency clinic to be catheterized so the urine can pass. If this is what is going on with him, he could die without medical care. He may just have a bladder infection, but cats usually do not scream with bladder infections. I sure hope he is not a blocked cat, but you need to get him checked out as soon as possible to find out.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating. Let me know how he is doing.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
How is Ginny doing?

Rebecca