Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My girlfriend has a cat that has been diagnosed with

My girlfriend has a cat that has been diagnosed with ascites. I have the cats x-rays and blood tests and I was wondering if you could advise me on if he can be treated?
Kind regards,
Patrick
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Was a sample of the fluid collected and also analysed? Do you know what color it was?
Was he diagnosed with ascites in the chest or abdomen?
What were his clinical signs?
Can you post your results for me to review?
To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc) and paste the web address here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I have attached a copy of the files. I am not sure if a sample of the fluid was taken or the colour or whether the ascites was in the chest or abdomen.I was wondering if there is enough information on the attached documents for you to advise me?Kind regards,Patrick
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Patrick,
I have received the file and will review it just now.
Speak to you shortly
Dr. B
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Can you confirm that this is your girlfriends cat's xray?
And that he is male?
As well, can you tell me more about what signs he has been showing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,These are the x-rays of my girlfriend's cat and he is a male. Unfortunately I am unsure of what signs he was showing. He was taken to a vets who diagnosed him with ascites.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I would double check with the vet about these being his xrays. This xray is not suggestive of ascites in the abdomen. Just to note the chest is clear, the heart looks ok (though they've let the elbow cover the heart so we cannot really examine it properly). Now your photo was taken at an angle, so it is hard for me to look at the finer detail like GI definition. But from what I can see, this is an xray suggestive of a pregnant cat. You can see two lines of vertebrae and skulls in the upper part of the abdomen and some finer boneslower down. Since the stomach is small and the colon is normal, even though that angle prevents us from following the lines of the GI, I would not expect this to be an xray of a cat that ate young rabbits. You can compare this with a pregnant cat xray but copy/pasting this (http://drdvmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Pregnant-cat-radiograph.jpg) into you web browser.
So, as you can see, that is not consistent with ascites nor is it an xray we'd expect with a male cat. As well, I would just note that while some of his blood proteins are low (common in most of our ascites), the main issue with his bloods is kidney disease. Both the urea and creatnine are abnormally high which tells us that he has >75% kidney function loss. So, that is going to be an issue, but that doesn't usually cause ascites until the blood proteins are low.
Finally, when we find ascites, it is key to have a fluid sample checked. This is because analysis and even just looking at the type of fluid can narrow down disease concerns and tell us what is amiss (ie liver issues, infections, cancer, or bleeding --though this last one is less likely here looking at his hematology results). So, if he has fluid in the abdomen, we'd want it sampled and tested.
Overall, this xray is not consistent with the bloods nor his history. So, we have to question who's xray that is. As well, if he has fluid, we'd want to sample it and have it analysed. And since he is showing signs of kidney disease, it is advisable to treat that as it can make them feel unwell but can be partly to blame for the fluid build up in his abdomen.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My girlfriend will check with the vets tomorrow to see if this is the correct x-ray. I was wondering if you could advise me on what treatments are available for kidney disease?Kind regards,Patrick
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
In regards ***** ***** disease, as I am sure you can appreciate, treatment is management based as opposed to aiming for a cure(since we cannot regain function that has been lost). In regards ***** ***** we often put cats on diets that are low in salt, phosphorus, and protein. This is to reduce the work load of the remaining kidney tissue.
Otherwise, we also will use kidney supportive medications (ie Benazepril, Semintra, phosphate binders, etc) to increase what function they have and slow disease progression. As well, if he also has high blood phosphorus levels (which wasn't listed on the results), then phosphate binders (ie Renalzin) would also be used.
Further to that, we also sometimes treat them with subcutaneous fluids at home. You can read more about how to do this @ http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=469&S=0&EVetID=0 . But of course, use of these would depend on the nature of the ascites he has since cats with ascites from heart issues or low blood protein would need to be closely monitored when fluids were being given to
avoid worsening the ascites situation.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.