Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Cat not eating or drinking (last 10 days), also hiding away.

Customer Question

Cat not eating or drinking (last 10 days), also hiding away. Previous visit to vet showed kidney problem and changed food to renal food. Considering what is best for cat even having her put to sleep
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Willow. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. If she is not eating or drinking, she must be dehydrated. You can check by gently pinching skin over her shoulders and letting go. The skin should go back into position in less than one second; if it takes longer, she is dehydrated. Being dehydrated will make her feel worse, and less like eating. It would help me to see her blood tests; do you know what her BUN and creatinine were? Giving her supplemental fluids, by IV or under her skin might help her feel better, and might even get her to eat. There are also good appetite stimulants for cats. However, her kidney disease may be far enough along that she may just not eat or drink again. When I know a cat has a terminal illness like cancer or kidney disease, and the owner want to know when she is suffering enough to consider putting her to sleep, my answer is that when she stops eating, she feels pretty bad, and it might be time to consider letting her go. I am so sorry she is so sick and that you are having to make a difficult decision about her, whether to let her go or watch her slip away or take her back to your vet for more treatment that might not help. Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the good rating. How is she doing?
Rebecca