Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I nhave three cats. we live in a bedsit. two cats seem ok

Customer Question

I nhave three cats. we live in a bedsit. two cats seem ok about it but one cat really wants to go out. I am trying everything to move. there is a slim chance that we can move to a garden. What if we don't get a garden? should I think of rehoming my cat? they love each other, so is it more important that they nget their freedom or that they stay together? I love them very much and its not right that they suffer. What should I do so that its the best for them?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about your cat being so desperate to go outside. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How long have you been in the bedsit? How old is the cat that wants to go out? If I were in this situation, I would probably keep them together. Rehoming him might not make him any happier without you and the other cats, even if he can go outside. I would consider getting a Feliway diffuser to plug into a wall socket; it emits a calming pheromone that only cats can smell. There is a website dedicated to how to make a cat that wants to go out happier, called the Indoor Cat Intiative: https://indoorpet.osu.edu/cats It may give you some ideas to help him be active and happy as an indoor cat: interactive toys, a window seat, shelves so he can get up high, catnip. If you love them all, and he loves the other cats, I would do my best to keep them together until you get a place with a garden. At least, that is what I would do myself. When I was in vet school my cats had to move into a tiny space with only one window and we lived on a farm before that, but we all made the adjustment. Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just wanted to say thank you, ***** ***** what I wanted to hear,he does love the other two cats alot, and I just couldn't be without him. I will visit the site and do my best. his name is Shiva.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I hope you and Shiva and the other cats continue to live together happily. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Let me know how it is doing.Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the great rating.