Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We just recently got a cat, she is about 4 years old, and a

We just recently got a cat, she is about 4 years old, and a friend we took her from said she just had a flu jab, since she's beein at our place she's been sneezing a lot. I can see small bubbles coming out of her nose, when she breaths, sometimes her nose is so blocked she breaths through her mouth and her eyes, are getting wet all the time, I do worry about her. IS it possible she just got a cold?
We leave in an old house which is quite dusty all the time. I wonder if that could be a cause? Is there anything we can do for her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long have you had her?

How long has she had these signs?

What color is the discharge from her nose?

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we only had her for just over a week. the discharge in both nose and eyes is colorless, she started sneezing literally the next day after we got her, when we spoke to her previous owner, she said she had similar symptoms with previous flu jab and she got over it. What worries me, it's been now a week and she seems to get worse not better, her fur becomes a bit matted too, she can sneeze like 10-12 times in a row.

she is eating and drinking fine I think

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we had her only for over a week, and she started having those symptoms pretty much next day we got her. the discharge from her nose and eyes is clear, she seems to be eating and drinking normally, but she is getting worse not better, now her fur is slightly matted, plus she can sneeze like up to 10-12 times at once. I can see small bubbles coming out of her nose every now and then, she also breaths a lot through her mouth when her nose is blocked.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Now we can see allergies and reactions to dust in some cats. Yet with the severity of her signs and the timeframe of onset (a time of change/stress), I would be less concerned about those and more suspicious that she is a cat flu carrier. And I would note to see these signs with clear discharge suggests we have a viral agent (herpes or calicivirus), which she could have gotten from her mum prior to vaccination. As well, in regards ***** ***** notation, we can see cat flu cause signs for 1-2 weeks before the immune system can overcome the infection.

Now since the discharge is clear, we can start some supportive care for her. If we see snotty/green discharge at all, then this would tell us that there are bacteria involved and antibiotics from your local vet would be indicated. In regards ***** ***** to start, if she is sneezing and congested you can take her in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting her. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, but often cats don't like things held up to their faces. That said, you can alternatively make little ‘steam tents' with her in her carrier and the nebulizer under a thin bed sheet.

If she is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. You can also use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist or Little Noses) but not anything medicated. To administer, tilt her head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Making sure she is getting food and water is important, as congested cats who can't smell their food often won't eat as well as they should. Therefore, if she has had any loss of normal of appetite, then do consider tempting her with smelly wet foods (since they are high in water). It may help to warm it up a bit in the microwave to help her be able to smell it.

And since feline herpes virus may be a cause here, then we sometimes find the L-lysine of benefit in these cases. This is a nutritional supplement that can help them recover quicker. This is available over the counter at your vets, pet stores, and even online. It comes as a gel, powder or crushable tablets that can be added to food. An average cat dose is 500mg a day.

Finally, while allergies are less likely here, I would just note that you can also consider treating her with Piriton (chlorphenamine). This can be used in kitties at a dose rate of 2-4mg every 12 hours. It can cause a bit of drowsiness but can help address any suspect allergies.

Overall, I would be highly suspicious with this lass's signs and history that she has cat flu. So, we'd want to use the above supportive care for her now. And if she is very congested, then do consider having her seen by your vet so that they can dispense a cat safe decongestant (ie Bisolvin) +/- cat safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam) to further reduce her congestion and help her over come this likely stress induced flare-up.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wonderful! will look into that,, thank you so much!!! you've been a great help

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear. :)

All the best to you both,
Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.