Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My daughters can is not eating and when she picks him up he

Customer Question

my daughters can is not eating and when she picks him up he goes limp. He is five years old and is usually very playful but he is just lying on her bed,he is a house cat can you tell me what might be wrong with him.
marion
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello Marion, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Smudge. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. The first things I would check, if I could, would be his temperature (normal rectal temp is between 101 and 102) and his gums. If his temp is over 104, that could explain his being limp, and not eating. If his gums look pale, not a normal bright pink that could also make him act this way. He is sick from something. It could be an infection, something he ate or internal disease. I would need to examine him to tell you what might be the problem. You can check to see if he is dehydrated by gently pinching skin over his shoulders and letting go; the skin should go back into position in less than one second. If it takes longer, he is dehydrated and may need supplemental fluids. Continue to get liquids into him, but if he is dehydrated he needs as much as a cup of water or broth to get rehydrated. Often we give this much under the skin, or by IV. I hope to hear from you soon; let me know what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
How is Smudge doing?