Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My cat tigerlilly is 18years plus 6 months old. she is on tablets

Customer Question

my cat tigerlilly is 18years plus 6 months old. she is on tablets for an over active thyroid gland, she also has a monthly steroid injection because when she doesn't she stops eating, as well as this she has a mass on her liver and iv been giving her a daily liver supplement. over the last couple of weeks iv noticed the sound of her purr has changed, it seems more high pitched and sounds "tinney", and at times louder also iv noticed that she is keeping her mouth open while she purrs, does this mean anything
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Have you also noticed any change to her voice or noise when she breathes?

Is having her mouth open a new behavior for her?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?