Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 22 year old cat howls all night, she is deaf but nothing

my 22 year old cat howls all night, she is deaf but nothing appears to stop her howling,she is happy and healthy, I have tried everything I can think off, I leave a light on in my bedroom,food and drink on the landing, she just wont stop howling. is there anything I can do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

You noted that she is healthy, but can you tell me if she has been drinking more lately? Passing more or dilute urine?

Any change to her weight or appetite (increase or decrease)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hiya

fluff has been acting perfectly normal,eating and drinking fine,its just the howling all night. the littertray has been normal.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you and hello to you too, Smile

Now when an older cat suddenly becomes restless and vocalizes without apparent reason at night, there can be a reason for the behaviour that has to do with the cat's health and mental status rather then needing your attention or anything in particular.

Specifically, the two most common issues are high blood pressure and dementia. In regards ***** ***** former, it isn’t uncommon to find older cats demonstrating disorientation with vocalizing (most often at night) when they are suffering from high blood pressure. This can be an old age change (as it is in elderly people) but can also be precipitated by underlying kidney issues, heart issues, or metabolic conditions like hyperthyroidism. Though that said, hopefully these underlying conditions are less likely for Fluff since he has no changes to suggest a metabolic or kidney based issue. In any case, to determine if this is an issue for her, it would be prudent to have her vet check her blood pressure. If it is high, there are treatments that can be used to bring this down and/or address any underlying health issue as those I noted and the vocalizing usually declines with the blood pressure.

Otherwise, if she does show a normal blood pressure, then we can focus on the 'harder to diagnose' conditions that can be associated with old age. In older cats, any change in environment, and coping with her own older age (ie. sight deterioration, mental confusion, etc), can sometimes be daunting for kitties. And in these cases, she may be vocalizing because she is struggling to get used to a change. And there are things we can do to help support her with that situation as well. To do so and give her the feeling of a peaceful safe environment, you might want to consider some de-stressing tools. Feliway, (also known as Comfort Zone in the US pet stores) is a synthetic cat pheromone that helps to soothe kitty anxiety. This can be used as a spray (that can be used on furniture or her cat bed) or a plug-in diffuser (that can be used in the room she is in most often). This may just be enough to soothe her and help her cope with being in this aged situation. As well, there is also a diet on the market called Calm by Royal Canin. This contains a number of over the counter supplements that have been found to provide stress relief to cats. As well, there are nutritional and calming supplements like Kalmaid, Zylkene, Composure treats, or even Bach’s Rescue Remedy for Pets that can be given or added to food to soothe this for them.

Overall, these are the most likely triggers for her night time vocalization. Therefore, it would be ideal to have her blood pressure checked at this point. If she is nearly due for a booster, then you might consider having her blood pressure checked at the same time. If you find that this isn't the trigger, then do address the feline anxiety/dementia angle to help Fluff cope with her ageing.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you, ***** ***** work, but I will try the others,

thanks again fluffs best friend

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,

We do find that some work better for some cats then others (hence why I do always like to provide a few options to help). So, the others would be options to consider for wee Fluff.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.