Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat blood test results came back as too much calcium in

Customer Question

My cat blood test results came back as too much calcium in her blood. The vet said it could be unexplained or it could be cancer. How high are the chances it could be cancer
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Bluebell. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. High calcium can be a marker for cancer, or it can also be from dysfunction of the parathyroid glands(near, but different from the thyroid gland) that control calcium balance. It can also be "idiopathic", meaning we never find the cause and if you check her again a few weeks, the calcium may be back to normal. Chronic kidney disease can also cause elevated calcium. When blood tests were done, her kidney levels were also probably checked and if her BUN and creatinine were normal, it is probably not from kidney disease. I would say about half the cats I see with high calcium have "idiopathic" and the calcium goes back to normal and we never know the cause. About 1/3 have kidney disease, and the rest have cancer or parathyroid disease. I would either check her parathyroid levels, a special blood test, or just wait 3 to 4 weeks and retest her calcium. Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanku

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Let me know how she is doing and if I can help with or answer anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated; lets the website know I helped you); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. I sure hope she has the idiopathic high calcium. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca