Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 17yr old cat is on 5mg of felimazole daily. She has tolerated

Customer Question

My 17yr old cat is on 5mg of felimazole daily. She has tolerated this reasonably well since changing the dose from 2.5mg 5 weeks ago but has now virtually stopped eating, is yowling worse than before and today has vomited up some blood streaked mucus. She looks better than she did but I am worried about this latest development and the fact that her nightime vocalisation has returned with a vengeance.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. My initial thought is that she's still being underdosed which would explain her vocalizing and vomiting. The presence of blood is worrisome, however. Forceful vomiting can rupture capillaries in the stomach lining but hematemesis (blood in the vomitus) can also result from ulceration in the GI tract seen in renal failure at Fifa's age. Anorexia is another symptom of renal failure. Fifa will need her vet to perform a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests in an attempt to clarify not only her thyroid status but also her major organ status. For now, administering Pepsid Two at a dose of 0.5 mg/kg daily of the famotidine in the Pepsid Two should help protect Fifa's stomach. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.