Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

This morning when my female cat did her poo there was blood

Customer Question

This morning when my female cat did her poo there was blood in it. Should I just keep an eye on her or should I get her to a vet? This has not happened before. Was not there yesterday. Thank you Mrs. Goldsmith on behalf of Angel.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much blood? A spoonful, more, less?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Was the stool lose or hard?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Less than spoonful. Just spread as a coating on outside of poo, it was a firm stool. Gums pink. Blood around her back passage, she has cleaned herself up and do not see blood there now. She only had a small stool yesterday. Good amount this morning to make up for yesterday.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Now I am glad to hear that she is otherwise well and that her stools are not loose; as we can see blood in feces associated with anal gland issues, parasite infections, or colitis. With those aside, if Angel has passed a coating of blood on a firm stool, then this is most suggestive of the hard bowel movement and its passage causing strain on her colon. This is often self limiting with the hard feces and not a major worry.

Of course, if she has firmer then usual stool, then we can ease her passing this by treating her for a few days with an OTC cat hairball treatment (ie Catalax, Laxatone) or adding a small dose of a GI lubricant (ie lactulose, miralax, etc) to her food. These can just ease passage and reduce this reaction in the colon.

Overall, her signs sound to be self limited to having had a bit of effort in passing this firm stool. So, we'd not be panicked here and instead would just want to monitor +/- use the above to ease her passing stool.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much. Common sense made me think exactly what you said. But just wanted to put my mind at rest. Do not want her to be in pain. As I obviously love her vey much. She has been my guardian angel since my husband passed away. Thanks again for advice. ❌⭕️😍😻
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad that I could put your mind at rest and that we don't have to worry about any of those more sinister issues here with Angel.

Take care & have a great day,
Dr. B.