Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 10 yr old female tabby is not only losing weight and

Hi, my 10 yr old female tabby is not only losing weight and shedding fur she is now gong to the toilet by the front door. She is eating the same but drinking more. She has been out all day and came thru the cat flap and pooped by the door. She meows all the time. Her fur is manky looking and full of sores now. The sores heal but then she gets more. She is fleas and wormed. Any ideas???
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. When she has a mess by the front door is it just stool or is it urine too? If it's urine is it a large volume or small little coin sized puddles? Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's both in normal quantities
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. When cats start losing weight and also are having urine accidents, especially when there is a "ratty" or "mangy" or unkempt hair coat then we start to worry about 3 different conditions. The first is diabetes, the second is kidney disease and the third is an overactive thyroid. All of these conditions will cause the weight loss and use the drinking and urinating systems to help control the internal effects of the disease, this means generally the only symptoms we see are weight loss and inappropriate elimination. Unfortunately until we figure out which of these problems is the cause we really can't recommend a treatment as each condition requires a completely different treatment. The good news is that these can be diagnosed with a simple blood test and all can be treated to some level usually with excellent quality of life. I would recommend talking to your vet on Mon about testing for these conditions to get a handle on what's going on . I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan