Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat recently lost fur about 2 inch square on its inner right

My cat recently lost fur about 2 inch square on its inner right leg which quickly grew back again and now it's lost fur on its upper inside back right leg .Is this stress it is a very nervous cat .?Mrs E Ridler .
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Are you seeing him licking/scratching/grooming this area specifically?

Are you seeing any changes to his skin (ie pimples, pustules, scabs, sores, ulcers, redness, dander, or crusting)?

When did you last treat for fleas? What did you use?

Has he had any diet change in the 4-6 weeks before this started?

Any changes in the household, routines, or new cats in the area?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes to the over grooming .four weeks to the flea treat an a tablet from super market cold on Martin clear for cats.no change to diet or routine s at home ther has been two new cats in the area but my cat is mostly a domestic animal So help m?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** do commonly see overgrooming in the stressed cat. That said, stress overgroomers tend to present as cats with hair loss and little obvious grooming. Therefore, if Cath is overgrooming, showing irritation, and paying mind to these areas when you are watching him, then we'd be more concerned about an skin issue that is causing inflammation within the skin. And if the skin looks normal otherwise, we'd have to consider allergies to allergens like flea saliva, food proteins (less likely here if there has been no change), pollen, or environmental items (ie carpet powder, dust mites, laundry soap, etc). With all this in mind, we have to consider each issue in turn. Now I am glad that you have been treating for fleas but I must warn you that Bob Martin is not a good product. The chemicals they use are old and there is severe resistance to them by fleas. So, in this situation, I'd not trust that product and strongly advise using a better quality one since he is due for fleaing now. Therefore, consider using Advocate, Activyl, or Advantage II.Furthermore, it is important to remember that flea allergies are not actually due to fleas being present. Instead, cats are allergic to flea saliva. So, all it takes is one flea having a nibble to start things off. The body releases histamines and the allergic response takes over. This is itchy and sore, so our cats may itch, scratch and some will even start pulling out tufts of hair. They scratch which can irritate the skin even more, and its a vicious cycle (they itch b/c its itchy, but its itchier because they itched, if you know what I mean). As well, as they are causing damage to the skin from scratching, they will open the door for bacterial infection (which makes it even itchier). If it is flea saliva induced, the flea that may have bitten him is probably long since dead. Cats caught in this kind of allergic response often respond well to religious flea treatment but sometimes need additional short term medications to help break the itchiness cycle. Otherwise, as I noted, kitties can also have allergies to the world around them. I have had patients that have been allergic to grass (which I think is such a cruel joke of the universe). Sometimes these animals will only show signs during particular seasons, so if you have noticed it being worse at different times of the year then this could be a hint that an environmental allergy is a distinct possibility. Other animals will have non-seasonal allergies and this can be caused by anything in the house (ie. laundry powder, carpet cleaner, etc.) With environmental allergies, they will have target itch areas will be those 'easy to reach places (like legs). With all of these in mind, as you review the house for any changes and address flea treatment, I would note that you can try him on an anti-histamines. These can help settle allergic skin reactions and decrease general itchiness and may just be enough to help give him relief. Most often we will use Piriton/Chlorphenamine (at a dose of 2-4 mg up to 8 hours) and it can just be enough to break that itchiness cycle, and give his skin the chance in needs to settle. We like to keep the dose low in kitties, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your kitty has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet. Overall, we do have a few concerns for his signs. Even though he is a stressy kitty, the history you have given is more suggestive with an allergic cat reacting to something irritating. Therefore, we'd want to take the above steps with Cath to see if we can soothe this for him and get him to stop overgrooming so that all his hair can regrow.I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )