Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is 12yrs 6month and recently had a geriatric blood test

My cat is 12yrs 6month and recently had a geriatric blood test which has come saying he has an overactive thyroid I am concerned because he is not showing any of the signs for overactive thyroid I.e weight loss he has inthe fact gained weight no Increase of thirst no wanting to be feed wall the time and no vocalizing I do not want him to have medication if it is not necessary I am looking for advice plae
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was his heart rate elevated when his vet examined him?

How elevated was the thyroid level on the bloods?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As far as I know his heart rate was ok although he was terrified at being at the vets I don't know what the thyroid level was in his blood at the Intitial exam the vet even said to that he didn't think there was anything wrong with his kidneys or thyroid

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Rosemary,

In a situation like this, we do need to tread with care. As he doesn't appear to be hyperthyroid, I would first suggest having the vet phone the lab to confirm or recheck the results. That way we can make sure this wasn't lab error.

If the results are genuine, then we do have a few options. As long as he doesn't have a racing heart rate (which you could try taking at home by putting a hand over his heart, counting the beats for 10 seconds + then multiplying by 6. Ideally, unstressed at home it will be <180bpm) and no signs that fit, then you can monitor with a view to just rechecking the thyroid levels in 3-6 months. Of course, if he is early stage and we were to see signs start to creep in between then and now, then we'd need to consider treatment at that point.

Otherwise, I would say that if you wanted to err on the side of caution without giving medication unnecessarily, you could also consider putting him on Hill's Y/D (More Info) at this point. This is an iodine restrictive diet that is used to manage thyroid disease. It works by limiting the excess iodine that the overproductive gland would use. That means it only has enough iodine to support normal thyroid function. So, if we put Dennis on this, he would have enough iodine (and all his other nutrition needs of course) for normal function but if his thyroid is even thinking about being overproductive, then it would block that and head off any development of clinical signs. So, that would be an option as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.