Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

I have just picked my cat up from a cattery since being on

Customer Question

I have just picked my cat up from a cattery since being on holiday and have noticed over the last 24 hours he has not used his litter tray for anything other than urination. He is not acting any different but he is usually quite regular. I am going to give him tuna in sunflower oil tonight to see if that helps bit is there anything else I can do. His normal diet is cooked chicken and fish with plenty of water and biscuits such as royal can in or wellbeloved. Thanks Claire.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi Claire. Thank you for your question about Alfie. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. That is good that he's not acting different in any other way than not having a bowel movement. I'm going to be most suspicious here that he may not have eaten really well at the cattery. Some cats when they are at them will stop eating during their stay as they are a little stressed being there. If he wasn't eating or eating well there, then he really wouldn't have a lot of stools being built up in the colon to be passed. As long as he's now eating well and urinating well, I would be very hopeful that with him being at home in his normal environment some stools will build up and need to be passed. If he wasn't eating at home, if he was vomiting, or looking stressed there - then those would be more red flags. I would have high hopes that his regularity will be back to normal soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I did clear up a little sick bit more water than food and the cattery did say he had eaten. Thank you though I shall keep an eye on him. Claire

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
If he's back to eating well at your place, drinking well there, and not straining to go to the bathroom - it would seem very reasonable to give him a few days to see what that has as far as an effect on him. I would hope that there is no more vomiting. If this happens more, then I would raise concern enough to get him seen by your vet as they can evaluate him and start up more specific therapy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Brilliant thank you x

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm again hoping for the best for this little one! Take care! Thank you for the kind accept!