Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat is 14yrs7months old, I didn't have her till she was

Customer Question

My cat is 14yrs7months old, I didn't have her till she was 12yrs old.
She has always been an indoor cat, but since with me she just loves to sit
on the patio if it is sunny in the morning, She was on Thyroid tablets when I
had her, she has Vidaltra 15mg,1 a day,
half a Medrone 2mg. every other day,
half a Frusemide 2omg twice a day, ultrasound scan shows a little fluid round
her heart. about 2 weeks ago she started to go off of her food, and the last
3 days she hasn't eaten at all, I always feed her on Senior food, but I have tried everything, even food for a younger cat which she suddenly wanted, but now she
will not eat that, she is still drinking, and sill purrs so when I stroke her and make a fuss of her, she hasn't many teeth, but the vet said the ones she has left are all O.K.
I wondered if there is anything that can bring her appetite back. Jeanette
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Jeanette and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about Georgina...I know it is hard when they get older. It is hard to know what is causing her anorexia but in the meantime, before your vet can run tests to find the problem, it is best to provide supportive care. This will include Pedialyte, 2-3 ounces given by mouth every 4-6 hrs. Also, Nutrical, which is an appetite stimulant available at the pet store, can be given by mouth at a dose every 4 hrs. Since we are not sure, Jeanette, why your sweet Georgina will not eat, this is the best course of action until your vet can determine the cause for this anorexia. Does that make sense to you, Jeanette? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr.Loretta for your advise, also I wondered if

Georgina could be diabetic, not eating, could that also

be the cause?

I will try to get the Pedialyte and Nutrical tomorrow, hoping the shop

"Pets at Home" stocks them.

Sincerely Jeanette

Yes, Jeanette...this certainly could be a case of Diabetes which is one of the metabolic diseases that would fit. You will not know, however, until tests can be run.
Thank you so much, Jeanette, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet Georgina feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!