Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My cat had her first kitten at 10.40...she has been contracting

Customer Question

Hi my cat had her first kitten at 10.40...she has been contracting with her 2nd since 11.40..but still no number 2. Is there a problem.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. I am a veterinarian and do my best to help. Anytime a cat is in labor and pushing for more than30 minutes, I am alerted something is wrong.I am in a different time zone than you; how long ago was 11:40?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost 2 hours ago...It is 1.30am Tuesday morning
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If she were mine, I would take an Xray to see if there are more kittens. If there are kittens in her, and an injection of oxytocin does not get them to be born, she is going to need a CSection to save her life.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is your cat today? Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I took my cat to the vets at 4am my time as still no baby...its was obstructing the canal...The vet emerged it's head and during the xray it popped out alive. ..then the 3rd followed. Seem healthy...But somehow even after frontlining the queen, The kittens were riddled with fleas so had to frontline them with spray today
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
That is amazing the baby was still alive after being stuck that long. Frontline is not labeled for kittens under 8 weeks of age. I usually use Dawn dish soap on baby kittens for fleas, and then rinse them and warm them well. Glad to hear mother and babies made it! Thank you for the update. Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet recommended the spray which is apparantly used on kittens from 3 days of age... I am just worried that mum/babies will pick more up or I've missed a spot in my house. Petrified they will take the kittens lives . Thanks you for your help. At least she didn't need a csection. Saved me some money for sure! And she seems to be a great 1st time mummy :) Vicki
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Yes, at least she did not need a C section! It is safe to use Dawn on kittens, provided you rinse and dry them well afterward. Let me know if I can help with anything else, and how they are doing. Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating. Let me know how they are doing. Rebecca