Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat keeps getting sors which I have been treating with

My cat keeps getting sors which I have been treating with cream from vet , but she just licks off She has regular flea controll .She is 14 years old Vet thinks allergic to flea bites but I have never seen any sign of fleas but have sprayed and hoovered all the time
.She is a rescue cat had her 4 years ,has always been very nervase stays indoors most of the time and has always had a very flaky skin goes outside to lay in sunshine Can cats have exama?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now if Kitty can lick the cream off, then it will be no help to her. Therefore, we'd either need to place an e-collar on her while she is being treated or consider oral/systemic treatments instead. With the latter in mind, if her vet thinks she has an underlying allergy, then I would note that you could consider trialling her on an antihistamine. Specifically, you can try Kitty on Piriton/Chlorphenamine (2-4mg every 12 hours) or Cetirizine (5mg once daily). These can reduce allergic skin irritation from the inside out and would be a way to soothe her skin in a manner she cannot remove herself. Of course, if her skin irritation is severe, then you can also speak to her vet about oral or injectable steroids. These all can halt that itch and give the skin a chance to heal on its own.

Finally, since you noted that her skin is flaky, there are some treatments that can directly help skin and coat health. Specifically, you can treat her with an essential fatty acid (EFA) supplement. EFA’s are the fats that are part of skin cells composition and play a role in their health and coat growth. A general recommendation you can use is 1.5-2.5 ml fish oil (not cod liver oil though) for a 4kg cat. Alternatively, you can offer a small volume of fresh salmon weekly. Or if she isn't keen on fish, then there are alternatives that you can get OTC from your vet, pet store, or even order online like Viacutin or Yumega.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )