Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

After 10 years my cat has started staying away at

Customer Question

After 10 years my cat has started staying away for days at a time and returning only fleetingly (2 or 3 hours). We think somebody is feeding her. How do we get her back?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Hinemoa staying away. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Obviously the best way is to keep her indoors, but it sounds like she might make life difficult for you if you keep her in. If she is being fed, or finding food at another home that leaves cat food outside for community cats, she will keep going back there if nothing stops her and the people keep putting food out. You could get a Cat Cam. These are tiny digital cameras you can attach to her collar, and then watch where she is going and what she is doing. If you can figure out where she is going, then you could go there and ask them to stop feeding her. If she does not get food anywhere but at your house, she will be less likely to leave home for so long. If you find out where she is going, and they are letting her into their house, you could ask them to stop. However, if she is going into a house with a cat door it will be hard to stop her; you can't ask someone to get rid of the cat door for their own cats. If you google "Cat Cam" you will find these cameras on places like Amazon. Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the great rating. Let me know if you learn anything.

Rebecca