Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is being sick every morning the vet has run all

Customer Question

my cat is being sick every morning the vet has run all sorts of tests over the last 2 years and cannot find anything wrong, she recommend changing diet this has no effect cat is still sick or spittle every morning
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Is he only vomiting in the morning? Before or after food?What does he bring up?What diet was he changed to? Wet or dry?What tests did Sidney's vets actually do? Just bloods? Any ultrasound, scoping or xrays?What treatments have his vets tried?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He vomits before food in the morning. The vet has done blood tests 4 over the last year and x-rays and scans. treatment is different foods since all tests show he is ok.6 different specialist foods from different manufacturers. Royal canin, hills and several others. He sometimes dos`nt eat for several hours in the mornings. his wt is holding up ok and general condition and activity good
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Did his vet only try diet changes with him? No medication?
What time does he have dinner at night?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vet gave him an injection to settle his tummy on two occasions which did make a difference for two days. we have tried feeding him as late as 10pm but it seem to make no difference
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,

Now while injectable treatments are good for sudden stomach upsets, they only last 24 hours at most. Therefore, they don't tend to help in the long term.
That aside, while I appreciate not having a diagnosis is frustrating, it is good that we can rule out severe GI infections, organ disease, pancreatitis, and metabolic issues from those tests. As well, the xrays and scans have made issues like tumors or enlarged organs playing a role here less likely here as well. And getting those off our list of concerns for Sidney is always good.

With that all in mind and based on his persistent vomiting in the morning before food, I would be suspicious that he may have a chronic bile reflux situation (or a possible low grade gastritis from a helicobacter infection). The former is more common and bilious vomiting syndrome is a benign condition we can see in a number of cats that can be managed medically. And if we did suspect the latter, then endoscopy (using a scope with a camera and taking biopsies for analysis) of the stomach could help diagnose that.

In regards to management of bilious vomiting syndrome, some diets will help some individuals, some respond to late feeding (or leaving food down overnight so they can prevent their own stomach from being empty too long), and others can benefit from treatment with oral antacids before bed. If the diet hasn't been of benefit to Sidney, then do consider speaking to his vet about a trial on Cimetidine, Famotidine or Ranitidine (ideally we'd want this from his vet since the human tablets tend to be too high strength for cats). So, this would be the next step to use here with his signs and considering everything you have ruled out.

I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )