Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

She keeps trying to go to the toilet but isn't actually able

Customer Question

She keeps trying to go to the toilet but isn't actually able to do anything. Although she had been in the litter tray & on her bed when I got home from work, about 1 hour ago. She normally just curls up asleep but it just sitting down & wandering around trying to go to the loo! She has also heaved a couple of times, but again nothing. There was some fluid on the floor when I got home that looks like she could have vomited. She is approx 19 years old. She is very tiny, but normally eats quite well, she had eaten some food I left down for her whilst at work but hasn't touched any since I got home (I put her some fresh down) in the last few months she has started drinking more water.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. My fear for your sweet girl is that she is starting into Kidney Failure. The fact that she is vomiting and is not able to urinate in her box tells us that she ay also have a concurrent Urinary Tract INfection that is also affecting her kidneys. Because of her advanced age, take her directly to your vet for testing. If her kidneys are shutting down, there are treatments that your vet can do to help. Unless you know for sure what is causing this, I hesitate to give you any home remedies. I believe this could be very serious for your sweet girl so do not hesitate to have your vet test her. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear, she keeps trying to defecate not urinate.
It may be that due to the kidney disease, that she is constipated and uncomfortable. Only testing will tell you for sure. Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your girl feels better soon! Have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will get an appointment at the vets as soon as I can.
Excellent...good for you!! I hope she does well.