Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

We've just rehomed 2 cats, now discover that one almost certainly

Customer Question

we've just rehomed 2 cats, now discover that one almost certainly has FCV and although we knew she had gingitivis , the cats home did not make us aware that she probably has FCV. She is 7 years old has had 13 teeth removed and due to have another 3 removed.
we are worried about the other cat (young healthy cat aged 1) we rehomed and also the health implications for the older one with FCV. She has developed extra sores in mouth, sneezing and a bit of coughing, took her to our vet yesterday who mentioned Calichi and prescribed antibiotics and painkillers (antibiotics in case of bacterial infection i know nothing will treat a virus).
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Once Patsy recovers from FCV she's likely to be immune to that specific virus lifelong. She, may, however, become a carrier of FCV which has been found to be the case in many cats suffering from stomatitis. Please clarify if stomatitis (rather than gingivitis) were found in Patsy or, instead, her teeth loss resulted from another disease process. Recrudescence (relapse without cure in between events) is uncommon with FCV and so early infection with FCV causing stomatitis may have been due to another subtype of FCV or the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) instead of FCV is currently the infectious agent. Oral ulceration can also occur with FHV-1 but not as commonly as with FCV. The other cat has been exposed to these viruses and may or may not become clinically infected predicated upon its immune status. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you've mentioned stomatitis, what is that? no vet has mentioned that? I am in UK
so you think she might have a feline herpes infection not FCV?

Here is my synopsis of stomatitis (inflammation of the oral cavity) in cats for you: Stomatitis presents a therapeutic challenge, and management is often frustrating for both clinicians and owner. Many cases are refractory to treatment. A multimodal approach is imperative in patients with stomatitis, often requiring a combination of medical and surgical therapies for resolution of clinical signs and occasional placement of an esophageal feeding tube for nutritional management. Plaque control is achieved with professional dental cleaning, topical and systemic antimicrobial therapy, and tooth extraction. Systemic antibiotic therapy (e.g. , potentiated amoxicillin suspension) often provides only short-term clinical benefit or can be ineffective in the initial management of inflammation. Topical chlorhexidine (0.12%) products may be used for adjunctive therapy in the initial management.Corticosteroids (injectable methylprednisolone, oral prednisolone, dexamethasone, or triamcinolone) are often required to decrease inflammation, reduce pain, and stimulate appetite. The presence of lymphocytes and plasmacytes in the tissues suggest an "up-regulation " (over-activity) of the immune system and so the immunosuppressive cyclosporin may be useful starting at 2.5 mg/kg of Neoral solution orally every 12 hours and given for 6 weeks before judging effectiveness. Low-dose doxycycline (an antibiotic with anti-inflammatory and immunomodulary effects) at 1mg/kg orally once daily and feline interferon omega (5 MU are diluted and divided as necessary to submucosally inject all inflamed areas; the remaining 5 MU are injected into a 100 mL bag of sodium chloride and frozen in ten 10 ml aliquots - you then give 1 mL orally every 24 hours for 100 days; the 10 mL fraction in use is refrigerated and the other aliquots are kept frozen until needed) have also been suggested as medical treatment options for cats with stomatitis.When the above fail, tooth extraction appears to be the best long-term therapeutic strategy because it removes the surfaces that are available for plaque retention. Plaque seems to play a role in perpetuating stomatitis even if teeth are located relatively distant from the actual site of inflammation. Therefore reasonably healthy teeth may be extracted in cats with severe stomatitis that do not respond to medication. Extraction of all teeth caudal to the canine teeth is often sufficient. The response to tooth extraction ranges from complete resolution of inflammation (60%); minimal residual inflammation, and no oral pain (20%); to initial improvement requiring continued medical therapy to control clinical signs (13%); to no improvement (7%). Cats tolerate extractions, even full-mouth extractions, very well and can eat moist and even dry food without teeth. Laser surgery may be used as an adjunct in patients with refractory stomatitis not responding to extractions and medical therapy. One investigation found that 88% of cats with stomatitis were shedding both feline calicivirus and feline herpesvirus in saliva, suggesting that these two viruses play a role in feline stomatitis. Evidence for a cause-and-effect relationship between the bacteria Bartonella and feline stomatitis has not been provided. FeLV (leukemia virus) and FIV (kitty AIDS) have also been found in these cases and so hopefully cats have already been tested for those viruses.Her ulcers can arise from either FCV or FHV-1 but are more commonly found with FCV. Chronic FCV can result in stomatitis. Infection with FCV as a kitten, however, isn't likely to be causing symptoms of FCV now unless a new subtype of FCV infected this cat. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its very confusing!

we were just told that she had gingivitis (long standing), had 13 teeth removed and needed some more out.
should we be worried for our other cat?

why would she suddenly start having URI symptoms is it stress of being rehomes/being near an unfamiliar cat?

It confuses vets too! I believe that you were misinformed and that this cat has had long-standing stomatitis. In any event, stomatitis isn't contagious. You mentioned that these cats were rehomed. That usually means that they were removed from one home - perhaps yours - and put in an another. Did you mean that you adopted these two cats, instead?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

re adopted them from a cat charity, they came from different homes, so never met till we brought them home. adopting often called rehoming in uk!

we've been getting them used to each other very slowly but have separated them for the time being,
I think you are right , sounds like if the cat just had gingivitis it would be unusual to take so many teeth out? so sounds like our younger cat is not going to catch 'gingivitis ' or stomatitis but might be exposed to FCV or FHerpes virus (he is innoculated) but do you think it was wise to place the older cat with a young healthy one?

Ah! Thank you for clarifying that. I'll have to remember that. Correct, we don't expect tooth loss due to gingivitis although as gingivitis progresses to periodontitis and stomatitis, tooth loss is common. Yes, your well-vaccinated young cat has been exposed to those viruses but should remain well. It was OK to place the older cat with the younger if the younger were well-vaccinated as was the case. It would have been more ethical if you had been alerted to the older one's problems, however.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr Salkin, yes it would have been, have been very worried as you can tell!
Thanks for your prompt answers.

I understand. I applaud your rehoming these cats. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.