Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

6 month spayed kitten. From yesterday afternoon, lack of energy,poor

6 month spayed kitten. From yesterday afternoon, lack of energy,poor appetite,not moving about, seems to be going to the toilet ok. Appears to feel cool,curled up tight. Will take cat milk and cat yoghurt treat. Have given 2 ml of metacam. No obvious sign of distress.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again and thanks for waiting. Sorry to hear about your kitten's condition, however I have worked out an answer for you ... 1. In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your kitten over sooner rather than later. 2. I say this because : While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that your kitten is lethargic and has a poor appetite that it is possible that it is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the most common cause of those symptoms in your kittens age group.3. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if your kitten is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that a range of other diagnosis are also possible. Also I would advise against the Metacam for present as potentially this could do more harm than good. 4. In the meantime until you can get your kitten to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure it is taking fluids regularly and try to encourage it to eat.I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Just came back from the vet . He couldn't find anything obvious. Temp slightly up but he said that the metacam would have helped to bring that down so I'm glad I gave it. I was a bit worried when you said it might cause harm but I had given it with some food as it's an NSAID . Shes had a shot of antibiotic and he will see her again in the morning. She's now resting so hopefully on the mend.
Hopefully the antibiotic shot will do the trick ... Please let me know how thing go. Regards, *****