Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We bought 2 british shorthaired cats 2 months ago. They are17

We bought 2 british shorthaired cats 2 months ago. They are17 months old. The previous owner said she had put them on a raw food diet because this was the only food which gave them firm stools. This food was frozen so quite inconvenient. After 2 weeks we started to change over to felix wet food. Ever since then they have had loose stools, sometimes diahorria. One is worse than the other. We have taken him to the vets twice with a sample stool. Both times we have been given some pro-kolin and given instructions on diet ie: boiled chicken, fish, rice and scrambled egg. The vet says it may be something they are eating like human food, and I do know that they have eaten cake and chinchilla food on a couple of occasions. After having the pro-kolin for 3 days they still have diahorria. This morning I have given them scrambled eggs again and I am going to keep them indoors for a few days so that I can keep an eye on their stools. They are fine in themselves and have shiny coats. The vet said if it doesnt work and they still have diahorria I should take them back for blood tests. Do you have any suggestions before I do that?
regards ***** ***** Mills
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What were the stool samples actually tested for? Did the vet send them to the lab for a full analysis or just check for parasites in-house?

Have you only been feeding scrambled egg? Or using the variety they had suggested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No they did not send stool sample off they threw it in the bin after looking at it. I have been feeding them on boiled chicken mixed with pro-kolin.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Well, that is a shame. In that case, before any bloods are taken it is highly advisable to have them send a stool sample for testing. That way we can make sure there are no chronic pathogenic issues (ie protozoa, parasites, pathogenic bacteria or viruses) that need to be addressed to clear this for them. This is especially advisable since infectious issues are the most common reason for multiple young cats to have loose stool. And I would note that you can submit a sample to be sent to the lab without bringing them in again. So, you could pool a sample from both cats (to keep costs down and since we will be treating both cats depending on the results) and submit that to be tested before any blood work or diagnostic testing.

Otherwise, the light diet options are good. Though if we are still seeing diarrhea and have this possible dietary sensitivity concern, you might want to consider matching your light diet to what was in the raw diet. For example, if it was egg based, then scrambled egg can be fed. If it was fish based, then boiled white fish could be tried. That way we are just trying to avoid any chance of a possible protein sensitivity (though it is uncommon to see multiple cats with this, even related ones).Otherwise, just since they are growing, I would note that we will often use balanced light diets (ie Hills' I/D, Royal Canin Gastrointestinal or Sensitivity Control) to try to reduce GI signs while ensuring our kittens are getting proper nutrition. So, you can try to match your light diet to what protein they were fed on and did well. But otherwise, these balanced diets from their vet would be another good option to try here.

Overall, it is unlikely that we have 2 (even related) cats with dietary sensitivity. Instead, I'd question a low grade infectious concern here. So, I would advise trying to tailor your light diet or consider those other ones for them both. Otherwise, I would strongly advise having a stool sample tested before we have them back in for bloods or other testing.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have taken both cats to the vet today. I have been given metronidazole, an 8 day course, and told to keep them on the light diet until their next appointment in 7 days time and given a worming tablet. I hope very much they get better in the next week, and if they do, when I wean them I think I will put them on a diet of dry sensitive food, like Royal Canin and hope that it will be better for them. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
You are very welcome. Those are reasonable broad spectrum treatments, but again if we aren't 100% after this course then a stool sample would be the next logical step here. Otherwise, the sensitive food sounds like a good plan of action.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.