Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has developed round welts on the front of her forlegs,

Customer Question

My cat has developed round welts on the front of her forlegs, where she lies down and on the backs of her rear legs where she lies down on them. The only way I can describe the welts is they are the shape of polo mints and deep pink in colour ( a bit like bare skin). She is still eating and drinking plenty of water and is 14 years old.
I do not have a vet that I am registered with nor transport to get her to a vets and have just moved into a new house 3 months ago.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I believe you're describing eosinophilic granulomas which often represent a hypersensitivity reaction to fleas, environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc., or perhaps a food intolerance. Can you upload a photo(s) of these "welts" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. (Please see here and let me know if Tabatha's lesions look similar to those in the image: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/feline-eosinophilic-granuloma-complex-in-cats/99)