Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I wonder if you can help me. My cat (please don't judge)

Hi I wonder if you can help me. My cat (please don't judge) had kittens at about a yr old. (I wanted to get her done before this happened but my partner was in a motorbike accident and became disabled so my attentions were on him) anyway... she became
from our other cat, and had kittens in June. She was the best mum you could want, she fed her kittens, (she had a litter of 3) and if two were playing and one was left alone she would go to the one left and play with them. She was lovely. However... once she
had started weening them she started growling and hissing, which I read was normal as this is how she teaches them to be on their own etc. We have found perfect homes for two of the kittens and we have kept one. This kitten is is now about 4 months old, and
quite bored seeing as her brother left last week. However the mum is still quite growly against her, will growl if the kitten is in the same room or even in a different room looking in. Both the adult cats now come in for food but very rarely for anything
else and it is really worrying me. The dad cat sometimes comes in to sleep, but the mother cat won't. She does not like (as far as it appears) to be around the kitten anymore. It's quite worrying as I love all my cats. I am taking them next week to have them
all done, so this can't happen again as I mention unfortunately this was a symptom of accident rather than not caring etc. Please help me understand why my cat does not want to be near her kitten, and what if anything I can do.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now as you have noted, growling at her kittens is normal when it is time for the kittens to go off into the world and find their own territories. This is an instinct based behavior because keeping one's offspring in one's territory would reduce the resources/food availability for mum. Since that is not practical from a natural selection point of view, she drives her kittens away so that she secures her territory and sends them to find their own.
Further to this, it is important to understand that cats are naturally solitary creatures. In the wild or as ferals, they do not often live in groups. If they do, it is a matriarchy with one ruling female. And she will often drive off other females that might rival her for leadership.
With all this in mind, you have 2 instinctive reasons why Luna is not happy about the kitten in her territory. She will perceive her as a threat to her territory both as a kitten that isn't leaving but also as another female. Therefore, this is why she is behaving as she is to the kitten (consider her growling as a way of saying "Get off my turf, go find your own territory"). Furthermore, since the kitten isn't leaving (since we aren't in the wild and they are in a home), the cats are readjusting their territories. Mum and dad are changing their habits to try and avoid the kitten that has "stolen" their territory.
In situations like this, the best option would be to rehome the kitten to allow your cats to settle back into their previous ways. If that is not an option, then you can try feline stress reducing treatments (ie Feliway, Kalmaid, etc) to try to help everyone calm down and cope with one another to find a truce. Otherwise, we'd have to allow the cats to establish their own territory/schedules as they are and hope with time they adjust and can find peace with one another and you.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry in the delay in responding. I was contacted by a local vet on saturday to inform me that my cat luna had been hit by a car and was taken in. Unfortunately she had passed before she had made it to the vets. It has been an awful time.