Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have had a 9 week old kitten week , she has a

Hi, we have had a 9 week old kitten for a week , she has a hernia,and I'm sure it's getting bigger , I'm getting worried , cause I was gonna wait till we got her spayed .
So she didn't have to have to operations , it's causeing her no pain or problem , she's still a normal kitten , please help
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is this an umbilical hernia?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes It is an umbilical hernia ....
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, as you may already know the only treatment for an umbilical hernia is surgery. The fear with an umbilical hernia is that if it closes with part of a segment from the intestinal tract it can strangulate the intestines. If the kitten is stable and not showing any symptoms like: Anorexia, vomiting, lethargy, etc. I would not be overly concern. Follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination to evaluate the hernia. But, I would agree to try to wait until the kitten is spayed at 6 months. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!