Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

Madam, I've missed an annual vaccination adult

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam, I've missed an annual vaccination for my adult cat in 2014. It is an indoor cat. Today he has had annual vaccination (the name is*****), and the Vet told me that after 4 weeks my cat will need another same vaccination (it was his advice). I do not know very well this new Vet and I disperatelly need a second opinion, is the Vet's advice correct? Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alena. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. How old do you think this cat is? Did he have a series of vaccines as a kitten, and then his vaccines at around a year of age? How many yearly vaccines did he have after that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello! He is 7 years old. He has had vaccinations every year (since 2008 when he was born). But last year I missed an appointment for annual vaccination.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. Getting a booster of this vaccine in 4 weeks is something that could be done, but it isn't something that I would recommend. With a cat older than 16 weeks of age that has never had any vaccines, a series of vaccines 4 weeks apart would be recommended when this vaccine is started to build up their immunity. After that, they should do just fine with a booster every year to 3 years to help keep up their immunity. There is still some debate on going longer between vaccines as the level of immunity may last longer - the only way to know is to do antibody level checks. For most individuals, the cost and hassle of this just isn't something they want to bother with and they vaccinate according to what their vet recommends. As far as your guy, he's had this vaccine series before, so a single vaccine should be good from the literature I have read. Here is a link to explain this.http://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/PracticeGuidelines/VaccinationGLS-summary.pdfIt isn't wrong for your vet to recommend this, but it isn't something I'd recommend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to have helped out! Take care.